Old photos & postcards of Church Street, Little Shelford

Old photos of Church Street include;

Chequers Church St.jpg
AALSH421.jpg
Church St 22 post office.jpg
AALSH637.JPG
AALSH593.jpg
IMG_2345_edited.jpg
Church St 7 LR.JPG
 

The former Prince Regent pub

AALSH347.JPG

The former Prince Regent pub

AALSH566.jpg

The former Prince Regent pub - the old forge can be seen on the left

AALSH364.jpg

The former Prince Regent pub - the old forge can be seen on the left

AALSH20.jpg

The former Prince Regent pub - the old forge can be seen on the left

AALSH349.JPG
AALSH350.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 09.51.46.png
AALSH591.jpg
AALSH583.jpg
IMG_2341_edited.jpg

James Thompson was the landlord of The Chequers when this photo was taken in 1920.

Church St 23 HRMalyon taxi.PNG
Church St 46 HR_edited.jpg
IMG_2343_edited.jpg
Church St 1 HR.jpg
AALSH562.jpg
AALSH631.jpg
AALSH572.PNG
 

Little Shelford's old post office in Church Street pictured in 1920 when Miss Minnie Austin was the Post Mistress. It closed in 1962 when post mistress Mrs Hudson died. The building was sold to Adele Nelia Bayon and Joan Nelia Topham Smith on 25 November 1963. In the conveyance it was described as ‘known as ’The Stores’ 6 Church Street’. It was then converted to a house. 

AALSH556.JPG
AALSH554.jpg
AALSH414.jpg
IMG_2344_edited.jpg

Ephraim Clamp was the postmaster at the turn of the 20th century when the shop advertised groceries and drapery. Later Sarah Annie Miles and her son ran the Post Office. Her son Gillie can be seen on the motor bike. An old soldier can be seen in the centre- his rolled up sleeve is a reminder of his sacrifice for his country. From Great & little Shelford in Old Picture Postcards by Margaret Ward.

Church St 35 All Saints & priesthouse_edited.jpg

The old vicarage. Formerly the Rectory, it was built in 1858 for the Rev. James Edmund Law in the early English Gothic revival style. In 1962 the Rectory was sold into private ownership and a modern house for the Rector was built further along Manor Road.

 
IMG_2339_edited.jpg

The old vicarage

Church St 50 LR Priest House_edited.jpg

The old vicarage

AALSH582.jpg

"The old Parsonage (above) was taken down in the year 1859 and on the same site is now built the new Rectory." From A  Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P54.

This photo above was taken before 1859. It  is therefore believed to be Little Shelford's oldest photo.

 
AALSH579.jpg

The old vicarage

AALSH581.jpg

The old vicarage

AALSH580.JPG

The old vicarage

AALSH578.jpg

Formerly the Rectory, it was built in 1858 for the Rev. James Edmund Law in the early English Gothic revival style. In 1962 the Rectory was sold into private ownership and a modern house for the Rector was built further along Manor Road.

AALSH576.jpg

The old vicarage

AALSH575.jpg

The old vicarage

AALSH577.jpg

The old vicarage

Church St 34 HR Three Horseshoes pub.jpg
IMG_2342_edited.jpg

The old village hall 

Chequers Church St.jpg
AALSH585.jpg

The former Chequers pub - now Winners Chinese takeaway

 
AALSH368.png

The former Chequers pub - now Winners takeaway

The former Chequers pub (right) - now Winners takeaway

Church St 33 LR Chequers pub.jpg

The former Chequers pub - now Winners takeaway