A Chapel outing outside of The Forge going to Royston Heath in 1919. A water pump can be seen in a small fenced enclosure on the left of the photo. Fanny Wale said it was placed there to commemorate Queen Victoria's first jubilee. From Great & little Shelford in Old Picture Postcards by Margaret Ward.
Little Shelford forge in 1975
Blacksmith Edward Elbourne with his two sons Charlie and Malcolm lowering an iron tyre onto the wooden cartwheel.
The West End brewery on Hauxton Road, Little Shelford can be seen in the centre of the photo above. It was built in the 19th century by Arthur Austin whose family were known as windmill builders. It closed in 1916 and was demolished in 1966.
The home of Frederick Marshall at the junction of Hauxton Road and Newton Road. He build the Mount View Cottage in the 1920s.
The last of these houses was demolished in the 1970s included the thatched cottage in the centre of the photo at the junction of Church Street and High Street.
Hauxton Road in 1927
Two milkmen from Manor Farm dairy pictured in Hauxton Road. They are Mr Amey on the left and Henry Ellis. They each carried a gallon can which would be refilled from the large churn carried on the float. When taken to the door, milk would be ladled into a jig provided by the householder. Milk was sometimes delivered twice a day to coincide with the morning and afternoon milking of the cows ensuring the milk was fresh even in hot weather. At the time of the photo, 1920, a pint of milk cost 2 old pennies, around one pence in decimal currency. But milk could be bought for 1.5 old pennies if collected from the far,
The Cambridge to King's Cross line crossing on Hauxton Road. the line opened in 1851 although at that time it terminated at Royston. The District Nurse can be seen crossing the line - it could be Miss Laura May, a District Nurse for some time in the area. The butcher's boy from Great Shelford can be seen on the left of the photo.
Other sections on the Little Shelford history website