Richard Marsh (pictured left with Edward VII) trained horses for two kings, Edward VII and George V. He is buried in the graveyard at All Saint's Church in Little Shelford although he lived in Great Shelford.
After his promising career as a jockey was ended by his rising weight, Marsh set up as a trainer in 1874. He made his base at Egerton House in Newmarket, Suffolk.
Owners of the horses at Egerton House included the Duke of Hamilton and also Spencer Compton Cavendish, 8th Duke of Devonshire but Richard was then offered the opportunity to train the horses of the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) and 8 of the Kings horses arrived in 1893.
Two of the most famous horses to be trained at Egerton were the Prince's Persimmon, which won the Derby in 1896, and Diamond Jubilee, the triple crown winner of 1900.
In a training career of 50 years, Marsh trained the winners of 12 British Classic Races. His greatest success sprang from his association with the Prince of Wales who later became King Edward VII, for whom he trained three winners of The Derby. He was then trainer to King George V for a while but with less success before retiring from his position at Egerton in 1924.
His retirement was marked by the King making him a Member of the Royal Victorian Order. On retirement he and his wife, Grace, retired to Great Shelford and lived at Abberley House on Granhams Road (since demolished and replaced by the Abberley Wood development).
His funeral in 1933 was held in St Mary’s Church in Great Shelford, but he was buried at All Saints. The reasons for this isn’t entirely clear but would indicate that he and his wife worshipped at All Saints, and St Mary’s was used because of the large number of attendees at his funeral, including a representative of King George.
Richard Marsh wrote an autobiography in retirement, called “A Trainer to Two Kings”.
Research by David Jones.
Other sections on the Little Shelford history website